Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Why am I getting stomachache and loose stool after taking simvastatin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 319 Questions
Hello, I just started taking Simvastatin this week and I have had a stomach ache the entire week in addition to loose stools. Today I dosage and was drinking a diet Mt Dew and now I feel real hot with the same stomach pain and in addition my back is aching as are my pec muscles like I have spams. Also real dry mouth. Anything I should be concerned about or normal with med?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 21 minutes later

Simvastatin is known to cause muscle aches and pain. Some patients can have additional symptoms as you have described. You should stop the medications for a few days and get these blood tests:

1. Total CPK
2. Liver functions tests

If the above tests are normal you can continue with the medication. If simvastatin is a problem you can switch to Rosuvastatin which has much better effects with much less side effects.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist
WWW.WWWW.WW (online expert diabetes care consultantion)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I getting stomachache and loose stool after taking simvastatin? 5 minutes later
Ok I have a Dr. App tomorrow so will request these tests. Just thought I might be having XXXXXXX side effect. Also didn't know if Diet mt Dew had grapefruit and might be why I'm feeling so hot and cold.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 16 minutes later

Hope the answer was helpful. Grapefruit can cause some unusual symptoms for some people, however the muscle pains point to simvastatin effect.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor