Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why am I getting pain while having sex?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13337 Questions

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Sexual Problems
Question: i was wondering my girlfriend says it hurts when we have sex, she says it feels like ripping we have been having sex for two years. she doesnt want to have sex because the pain just turns her off, she is scared to go see someone. she is 18
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain she is having during sex can be related to a vaginal infection, psychological causes, harsh behavior during foreplay and sex.
Other cause is hormonal changes occurring in the body and fatigue. A healthy affectionate communication with the partner helps in decreasing anxiety and stress. A psychological session of the couple with a sex therapist also helps.
If the symptoms persist then get other causes ruled out. It can also be due to anemia, overactive pituitary gland causing hyperprolactinaemia or abnormalities in the production of luteinising hormone (LH). My sincere advice is to consult a gynecologist and get these possibilities ruled out.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
she did have like something bad happen to her some kind.of.sexual abuse in her past could.that cause her pain tho?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Psychological cause is a possibility in this case. You need to arrange a session with sex therapist to know the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Hyperprolactinaemia

doctor1 MD

hello doctor
i have been diagnosed with high prolactin levels as yet i have not received any medications or treatments for this condition, recently my body has started to display symptoms of pregnancy, even with this condition can i become pregnant or does high prolactin levels prevent conception

doctor1 MD

my prolactin level was 39. the doctor got an mri done to check for adenoma and he told me that was normal and i should repeat the mri after 3 months to see if there is a change. he has just asked me to keep trying to conceive as the level is not too high to warrant medication. please advice.

doctor1 MD

i am aged 26,ht 151 cm weight-44 kg. i am diagnosed with hyperprolactinaemia and infertility on account of it.i am taking bromocriptine 2.5 mg twice daily and doctor asked to continue it for 3months.she is asking to take iui for conception .but i want to become pregnant there any chance for me to concieve naturally without taking injections(ivf) and iui

doctor1 MD

i was diagnosed with a prolactinoma 4 years ago. it seems to be back, my symptoms are quite severe. my first blood tests revealed normal prolactin levels. i have since had them repeated along with a full hormone panel. i am waitin for those results. the doctor has recommended i start treatment 5 mg bromocriptine twice a day in the mean time. how dangerous is it and what will happen if the hormones are still normal. what are the other possibilities?

doctor1 MD

I am unmarried 24years old.i have irregular periods and sudden weight gain.i have hyperprolactinaemia and usg findings were normal.i am taking cabergoline 0.25 twice weekly and dronis 20 for past couple months.i am not having periods yet.i also...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am a 31 year old female, smoker, the only medical problems I have are PCOS and hyperprolactinaemia . I recently had an MRI to look for a pituitary tumor . I recently had my first child in 2013 and was diagnosed with preeclampsia . There...

doctor1 MD

Hi.. My age is 24 and I have a history of irregular periods . Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS . My last period was on 23rd September. After a week of missing my periods my doctor suggested me to do a prolactin test. My prolactin level was 36....