Why am I getting pain in shoulder blade after drinking alcohol?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: after i drink alchol i usually get a pain in my right shoulder blade a few hours later which can last for a couple of days. I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer about 10 years ago. The alchol induced shoulder pain started about 6 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the shoulder after drinking alcohol is likely to be related to an electrolyte imbalance.
Another possible cause is vitamin B complex deficiency. Increased problem after taking alcohol further confirms its relation to vitamin deficiency.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Do you think it could have any thing to do with my liver Could it have anything to do with my liver
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in your shoulder blade is not likely to be related to the liver problem. However you can get your liver function tests done to assess the damage to your liver due to drinking.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.