Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Why am I getting pain in back and abdomen?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi. my name is XXXXXX, sometimes I hurt on the right side of my back, like at the rib and then it goes to the front of my stomach.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Upper right abdominal pain radiating to the back is most likely caused by gallstones. The pain usually appears after a fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol intake. Nausea can be also present.
Other possible reasons of such pain are pancreas disease, spine disc herniation, rib nerves irritation, muscular pain.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should start with blood work, liver tests, amylase and abdominal ultrasound. If the gallstones will be present, laparoscopic surgery is necessary.
In a meantime you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods and alcohol intake.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor