Why am I getting metallic taste in mouth while coughing? Worried about lung cancer

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Sometimes when i cough i have a metallic/bloos taste but no blood or mucous. 36 yo smoker. i had a clear chest xray in July but i very worried about getting lung cancer. I do have GERD for i take Prilosec 2x day but still get reflux up to the back of my throat.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The features could be from reflux only. Omeperazole (Prilosec) helps in reflux. If you are still symptomatic, you can take additional pro-kinetic drugs like domperidone. Don’t lie down up to 2 hours after a meal; reduce fluid with the last meal and finish it 2 to 3 hours before sleep; sleep with head-end higher. Reduction of weight will help. You may have to repeat Upper GI endoscopy. If very troublesome, surgery can help.
     There is nothing to suggest lung cancer; if you are worried, the only option is to see a Pulmonologist and have a CT scan of the chest

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck