Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Why am I getting burning sensation in penis after urination or sitting for a long?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions

My name is XXXXXXX.

I am a man, 39 years old, for the past 2.5 months I suffer with a burning sensation in the underside of my penis.
I believe that the problem is in my urethra, because it hurts me when I apply pressure on it.
I do get a needle feeling pain sometimes, and the area which burns the most is the top of my urethra, but I feel for some period during the day a burning sensation all along the urethra part at the underside of my penis.

The last 4 days I drink a lot of water and I take a bath (10-15 mins) every day, it seems to give me some relief.

I do not feel the burning sensation while urinating (very few times), mostly I feel it afterwards or when I sit while working.

I am married for 4 years and I and my wife did not have any different partners since we met, so it cannot be a Sexual disease.

These are the action I have taken so far:

I visited my family doctor, in the beginning they suspected I suffered from Chlamydia and they prescribed me antibiotics which I took them for a week, no relief!

Then, I went back, because the head of my penis was a bit red, they suspected a yeast infection, I was prescribed some pills which I had to take for 1 week (my wife took them too) and miconazole cream which I used it for 2 weeks.
I do not have this redness anymore, but this did not solve my problem.

Then, I went back and I gave blood and urine, they tested for an urine infection, results came back negative, and the PSA test showed no problem with my prostate.

They gave me a referral letter to go to see an urologist; I did an ultra sound scan of my testicles, an ultra sound scan of my belly and an ultra sound scan of my kidneys.
Finally, they performed a test in the hospital to measure the speed of my pee; it was a bit lower than normal they said.
They were not able to find anything wrong with me and so they closed the case and sent me home.

I never had such an issue before in my life, and I do not understand, if it is not an infection, why does not go away?

Can you please advise what that might be and what should I do next?

Best Regards

Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
I appreciate your long and elaborate history.
Considering that i cannot examine you physically and the nature of the disease you are having, i will do my best with the best of my knowledge with the information given to me.
Since all the tests are negative, you most probably have what is called chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome.
This is a diagnosis of exclusion and there is no specific test.
The next course of action in my opinion should be---
1. Culture of expressed prostatic secretions, where the doctor does a rectal examination and the fluid coming through the pee hole is collected for examination under the microscope for bacteria.
2. Urethrocystoscopy to look for infection/ stones.
If anything is positive, treatment is done accordingly.
If there is nothing positive in these tests, you are likely to benefit from---

1. Long term antibiotics for at-least one month.
2. Stool softeners.
3. Muscle relaxants.
4. Mild sedative or anti-anxiety medicines.
5. Regular ejaculation by sex/ masturbation.
6. Plenty of water.
7. Warm bath.

This is a problem in the mind and body together and need to be tackled accordingly.
Hope this helps,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor