Why am I feeling swollen and burning in the external genitalia?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: when i go to the bathroom, it burns reallly bad and it feels swollen, what could this be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The burning and feeling swollen in the external genitalia is commonly seen due to vulvovaginitis which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub due to rough intercourse or the second possibility is of an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast. Infection is usually associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.