Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Why am I feeling severe pain between the end of the spinal cord and rectum while coughing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5770 Questions
I feel severe pain while coughing between the end of the spinal cord and my rectum.
I am a 28 years old male
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by and inflammation of this area caused by pilonidal cyst, anal fissure or rectal fistula. If there is any redness or lump in this area, pilonidal cyst and anal fistula are possible. Pilonidal cyst is caused by the hair ingrowth what leads to local inflammation and can cause an abscess. Usually it appears between the buttocks, the skin is tender and reddish.
Anal fistula is caused by the connection between the rectum and the skin. It leads to an abscess and gives a lot of pain.
Both pilonidal cyst and anal fistula should be treated with surgery.
Anal fissure usually gives strong pain while passing stool, blood in stool appears. If not treated property, can become severe and gives less pain but more discomfort in this area. Severe fissure should be also treated with surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor