Why am I feeling severe pain between the end of the spinal cord and rectum while coughing?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I feel severe pain while coughing between the end of the spinal cord and my rectum.
I am a 28 years old male
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by and inflammation of this area caused by pilonidal cyst, anal fissure or rectal fistula. If there is any redness or lump in this area, pilonidal cyst and anal fistula are possible. Pilonidal cyst is caused by the hair ingrowth what leads to local inflammation and can cause an abscess. Usually it appears between the buttocks, the skin is tender and reddish.
Anal fistula is caused by the connection between the rectum and the skin. It leads to an abscess and gives a lot of pain.
Both pilonidal cyst and anal fistula should be treated with surgery.
Anal fissure usually gives strong pain while passing stool, blood in stool appears. If not treated property, can become severe and gives less pain but more discomfort in this area. Severe fissure should be also treated with surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.