Why am I feeling lump while swallowing?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,

For the past 6+ months, i have being experiencing a lump like feeling when i swallow.
I feels as though there's a lump just above my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on the right hand side.
Noting visible on my neck that i can see, in terms of a lump.

I am 33 years old, have being to see my GP but am waiting on an appointment with the ENT dept here in XXXXXXX where i believe they will put a camera down through my know and one in my mouth to try and find the issue. I could be waiting a while as the health system is not the greatest here.

I have read a number of things online but no one thing exactly matches.my complaint.

Any ideas would be great, obviously i am aware the info. you provide is only a guideline and cannot be used as a diagnosis without actually seeing me.

Thanks in advance
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query. I can understand your discomfort on account of your problem, remaining undiagnosed for so long.

The symptoms in your case can have two likely causes:

1. Local obstructive pathology

In this condition, there could be abnormal growths arising from throat region or pharynx. This can give rise to lump like feeling and swallowing problem. These can be either benign or malignant (cancerous). In view of longer duration of illness, the most likely cause could be a benign lesion. This can be diagnosed with video laryngoscopy, which the ENT has already planned for you.

2. Neurological weakness-

swallowing problem can also occur due to weakness of pharyngeal muscles and muscles of swallowing. This possibility would be considered once the ENT examination is normal. A neurologist consultation would be useful.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have read quite a lot about cricopharyngeal spasm as this is the closest thing that relates to my situation. What are your thoughts on this and does it sound like the symptoms i am experiencing?

Thank you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

It is possible that you have cricopharyngeal spasm. However, it is a rare condition, and not frequently diagnosed.

Moreover, it occurs in patients with stress or anxiety, and those who are scared of cancer.

In any case, it is a harmless condition, and recovers on its own in all cases, in due course of time.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)