Owl Image

Why am I feeling dizzy while laying down on side?

Question
Hi I have been feeling some dizziness when laying down on my side. Mostly when turning from right to left side. Dizziness lasts short but bothersome I had it two days in a row then it simmered and then slight this morning again. No vomiting or ringing in ears. YYYY@YYYY
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 10 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Dizziness is vague term - if there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo.
Blood Pressure has to be controlled - Have you checked your blood pressure again?

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. Absence of tinnitus does not exclude the ear. ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the first one to see – They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear.

If it is only on turning in the bed, it may be from cervical spondylosis and/or narrowing of the blood vessels in the neck (carotid / vertebral)... you have to be seen by a Neurologist. MRI may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting.

Initially ECG, blood counts and basic biochemistry are generally done.

In the mean time, medicines like betahistine or flunarazine alone or in combination may help

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck