Why am I feeling difficulty while swallowing?

Dr. Puneet Maheshwari

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: It is somewhat painful when I swallow (particularly while eating), but it's delayed and happens a second or two and swallowing. I also get a similar (albeit less painful) feeling when I take a XXXXXXX breath, drink liquids, and when I burp. This has been going on for a couple days, and the intensity of the pain usually depends on what I'm eating, but it usually isn't bad enough to keep me from eating.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Well, from your history it suggests that you may be suffering from acute pharyngitis.

The Pharynx is the part of your neck and throat straight behind your mouth and nose. It helps with digestion and breathing, which includes the small flap (epiglottis) to stop food passing into your respiratory system (lungs etc),

At times a small area or the whole pharynx can become infected due to bacteria. Over time this builds up and creates an inflamed area and causes soreness, which as I mentioned earlier is highly inconvenient simply because of the area it sits.

What you will have to do now---

1-First of all you MUST take lots of fluid (water) to help keep your throat lubricated and soft.
2-You can also take vitamin C supplements to help your immune system or simply drink fresh orange juice.
3-Take an antibiotic course other than penicillin group like cephalosporin.
4- Avoid cold foods.
5-Gargle with warm saline water / Betadine gargles three times a day.

Try all this for next 7 days, & if still the condition persists, please consult an ENT surgeon and get an endoscopic examination done.

Hope this answer will help you. I will be available to address other concerns which you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 7 hours later
Thank you for the suggestion, but my throat isn't really bothering me or sore. The sensation I'm feeling is further down either my airway or my esophagus, and I wouldn't describe it as a sore, dry feeling, but more like there is something backed up into the area. For instance, I just ate a little bit ago, and now when I burp I feel like if I pushed something would come up. I don't believe anything is lodged in my esophagus because the situation developed in between meals. The feeling like something is backed up down my throat/esophagus is persistent throughout the day as well. Do you think I could have a case of acid reflux? Some have suggested this, but i don't really have a burning acidy feeling in my mouth or throat. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 27 hours later
Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply, actually I was out of station.

Yes, as you are saying the word something backed up, it clearly indicates acid reflux.

The following measures should help

1- Take Tab. Prevacid OTC 20 mg once daily one hour before meals. You could also consider taking an antacid syrup or tablet to help. Prevacid has omeprazole which is extremely effective for reflux.

2- Avoid spicy, oily, extremely hot foods.

3- Take plenty of fluids in a day.

try this just for 7 days, and feel the difference.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli