Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Why am I feeling and hearing my heartbeat while laying down. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 141 Questions
Hello. I am female, aged 64, in good general health. For some months I have been "feeling" my heartbeat, especially at night when I lie on my left side, Thump, thump, thump and sometimes the beat is irregular. I'm wide awake then and have to lie on my back or right side (not easy because I am recovering from a broken right ankle) to get away from hearing or feeling my heart. Is it something to worry about? I had an angiogram in November following the surgery for the broken ankle because 'irregular heart activity' was noticed during the operation. The angiogram was clear. Should I go to my GP and arrange another test or is this normal because of my age or other factors? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 51 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through your all details with diligence. Normally anybody can feel heart beat if he/she concentrate on his/her heart beat, especially if the person is thin built person - but this is unusually felt by many people and can be normal. Rarely it may be the symptom of heart problem.

In your case as you are recovering from broken ankle and probably are mostly in bed, it is very likely that you are feeling these heart beats. Besides that, as you have already undergone Angiogram and it's clear, it is unlikely that any serious issues.

If these heart beats are troubling you, you can visit your treating doctor and get EKG - that will reassure you.

Wish you a healthy heart and speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor