Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why am I experiencing pain in rib area?

Answered by
Dr. Ram Choudhary

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2272 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have had a pain on the right flank in the rib area for almost a year ct scans etc. show nothing unusual pain some what constant but sometiemes it increases in intensity if you push on the ribs downward it increases the pain the pain runs down with in a few inches of the hip bone
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Such pain can be of neuromuscular origin or subsequent to an eruption of shingles if you had one, in these cases you do not have any finding on CT scan.
But CT scan practically rules out ant organic disease in chest like pneumonia, pleurisy, malignancy etc.
You should try local pain killer sprays. It does not seem much serious issue but pain should be controlled. There are good medicines which can be used for this purpose, your clinician would know a suitable match for you after examination.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on Pleurisy

doctor1 MD

I have a pain in the middle of my chest plate area, and in the past, I ve been diagnosed with pleurisy. I m not sure if that s what causing that, but yesterday, it was fine. I m not sure if sleeping in the wrong way may have caused that, but it s been bothering me when I lift up my arms, or when I breathe a bit deep. It s like there s a pressure in the middle of the chest plate area when I breathe deeply. I m 20 years old, and 200 lbs. I m 5 7.

doctor1 MD

have pain in right side around the bottom of my right rib, it is a dull with sharp pains form time to time, have been to a doc, urologist and hade ct scane, blood work, urion test, and all came back negitive, but still have pain and worse at night. had a kidney stone a year ago and it don t fill like that did. Had an uper respatory infection in Jan 2010 came with a cough that would make me through up that lasted all through Feb 2010 and on March 3 2010 I got this bad pain on my side ,, I fells like the same pain i had with pneumona/pleuracy 10 years ago and they thought it was a kidney infection thin to and i lived with it for 3 months till i had to be hospitalised and my right long drand of 750 cc of flued,,, can this be the same thing i have know????

doctor1 MD

i have finished a 14 day course of klacid for sinus infection and now i have slight/mild pains in my chest and around rib cage. Doc checked me yesterday for pleurisy but clear.... any idea s .....should I go back? I have headache every monring when I wake, sore neck/sholder (none of the paid in sever but there none the less) I have constant rining in my ears since infection started. I am 38 year old female.

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with pleurisy about two weeks ago and treated with anti-inflammatories. Unfortunately, I continued to get worse. When I reached the point where I was having major difficulty breathing I went to the ER and was also diagnosed with Pancreatitis. This was about a week ago and my condition seems to be getting worse. My doctor is treating this very lightly and I have not been able to get in to see him. This morning I woke up and I noticed this very repugnant odor coming from my urine. This odor has not gone away and now everything tastes bad. I am not sure what to do.

doctor1 MD

day 1: mild headache. took Alleve, but I was surprised the Aleeve didn't completely wipe the pain away like it normally does. day 2: headache worse, now accompanied by neck ache. starting to notice the pain more. day 3: headache and neck now...

doctor1 MD

what is pleurisy and what are the symptoms?

doctor1 MD

My husband is 60 years old. He has an artificial aortic(?) heart valve. He has been having symptoms for over a year - hoarseness , shortness of breath , chest pain radiating to his back and down his arm. He went to the ER 2 times last week for...