Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why am I experiencing pain in head, neck and upper back while standing or sitting?

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir Kumar


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 5811 Questions

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife is having extreme pain in her head (specifically temple region) and neck/upper back every time she stands up or sits up. This came on suddenly - 2 weeks ago. She has never experienced anything like this prior. The pain is significantly worse in the mornings. She also has light sensitivity and her ears feel like they are ringing. No recent trauma. We initially visited an urgent care facility and they said it must be muscle spasms. We also visited a chiropractor who said her spine was out of alignment and has been treating her for the past week. Pain got significantly worse. We went to the emergency room upon the advice of a radiologist friend and they did a CT scan and MRI of her head. The results indicated no structural damage - no tumors, no aneurysm or anything of that sort They suggested it is possible that she could have some spinal fluid leaking and might need a blood patch, but indicated a specialist would need to diagnose this. The pain meds they gave produced an allergic reaction in my wife. We have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in 6 days, but the pain is becoming progressively worse. My wife cannot stand or sit without extreme pain in her head. She describes it as a rush of pain that starts in her neck and goes to her temple. She can barely stand and last night started having sharp pains in her head while in bed. Is there anything else we can do or any other type of surgeon we can get into in a shorter amount of time? The ER referred us to a neurologist, but he said he only specializes in epilepsy and would not see us. I found a well-recommended neurosurgeon who agreed to see her, but my wife does not know if she can make it that long - 6 days away. Is there any other type of surgeon or doctor that you would recommend we see or anything we can try to do to alleviate the pain.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The overall description of the symptoms, and the radiologist interpretation points to a cerebro spinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhea (leak).

In this condition, there is a break in the bone (of base of skull), from where the brain water (CSF) leaks out. As a result, there is low CSF pressure, resulting into low pressure headache.

In this disease, headache is the commonest symptom, which tends to increase when upright (sitting or standing) position. Headache reduces on lying down.

The other concern is the risk of meningitis (brain fever), as infection can enter the brain through nose and the break in the skull bone.

The definite treatment is repair of the skull defect, which can be done by a neurosurgeon.

In the meanwhile, for relief of pain, following measures are useful:

1. Lying down most of the time,
2. Ensuring intake of plenty of fluids,
3. Using analgesics that suit her

I hope this helps. Please get back, if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Meningitis

doctor1 MD

What are the odds of on individual contracting West Nile virus dengue fever and spinal meningitis ? I have had all three and currently am under treatment for a sinus infection for 3 months. It has gotten worse and the ENT has me on massive doses -4,000 mg of amoxicillin .Iam near he end of the 3 week course and still have severe headache,sweats, chills and 1 degree high and low temps.Dr. Has said they will do CT scan at end of antibiotics.that will be in two days. I am wondering if this might be another infectious disease. Can t believe my luck Can t work really hurting

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 31 yr unmarried female having history of tubercular meningitis before 14yrsback and comleted ATT treatment and cured completely.I dont have any problem my periods are also regular but from last 1yr I am having only two days bleeding in my perods .my dr has suggested sonogaphy of abdomen and pelvice. is there any problem?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had a viral meningitis over a month ago and since I got out of bed (3 weeks ago) I am having problem with my right leg. my hip, knee and my shin really hurts and it seems like the leg is lazy. I can walk on it but I have to be careful and aware how I am stepping on my right leg. unfortunately I was misdiagnosed and was not treated for meningitis. was in bed for ten days and I was in very bad shape, fevers, stiff neck, sweating, horrible headache. the rest I don t remember, slept for 7 days night and day. any suggestion what to do or how to get rid of this pain. thanks Raddy I need somebody who can help me, not take money from me.

doctor1 MD

My 12 yo son had a meningitis vaccination 2 days ago and tonight he has a perfectly round red circle which is several inches wide around the injection site. Should I take him back to the doctor? Could this possibly be cellulitis or is it a common reaction?

doctor1 MD

We are wondering if my husband may have had a small stroke. Taken to the er with confusion loss of balance extremely high BP and migraine type headache. His BP meds have been adjusted but now his behavior has shifted. Very aggressive argumentative...

doctor1 MD

My 19 yr old son is a sailor in the Navy, he is currently on a ship with 5,500 sailors in underway training. He just told me that he's been getting migranes on and off for 12-16 hrs plus has a bald spot that has no hair follicles whatsoever and it...

doctor1 MD

Had LP done in ER. CSF results read WBC 11 and Lymphs 96 Mono 3 Glucose 85 Protein 35. Are these results reading normal? Would like to understand my result readings for my CSF. Was admitted to the ER for extreme muscle spasms that left me have...