Why am I experiencing pain and redness in the eyes after taking Bactrim?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I took my first dose of Bactrim for a UTI at 4PM. My eyes hurt as if I have eye strain and they are bloodshot, like I have been crying. Do I have anything to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to an allergic cause.

Detailed Answer:

Bactrim is a supha drug and some people may have allergies to it. The eyes being bloodshot could be an allergic manifestation and thus could be related to Bactrim.

However, the redness of the eyes along with the eyes hurting could also occur due to an independent allergic eye irritation or could be associated with conjunctivitis.

I would insist you to get it evaluated. Treatment with antibiotic drops or antiallergic medication should take care of the issue.

Hope I answered your query.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T