Why am I experiencing loss of blood circulation in the fingers?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 10 Aug 2019 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I experience loss of circulation in my fingers, (primarily fingertips). This causes them to turn blueish-black and I have no feeling in them. It typically lasts 15 minutes and then they're fine. I am doing various activities when this happens, (sedentary and active.)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The doctor may consider Raynaud's

Detailed Answer:

It is possible that the symptoms may be related to Raynaud's phenomenon though there are other causes as well. In this condition, there is a temporary closure of the blood vessels which causes decreased circulation in the area.

Raynauds can occur on its own or it may be associated with other conditions (mainly autoimmune conditions such as lupus, scleroderma, etc).

If Raynaud's is considered, to determine if it is just on its own or if there is an underlying cause, your doctor would need to examine you and do some blood tests.

Treatment consists of- avoiding cold, wearing gloves, no smoking and medication eg a medication called nifedipine.

If there is an underlying cause, this would have to be treated.

There are other conditions that cause similar symptoms as well.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician