Why am I experiencing electric shock pain below armpit?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I am experiencing electric shock pain episodes on my right side (more in the rib area) below the armpit. The electric shocks go through my right breast. This just started a day ago.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms usually are caused by intercotal neuralgia. This happens when for some reason rib nerves get squeezed. It causes pain radiating along the ribs, can cause shortness of breath as the pain aggravates while breathing. The cause if it might be local inflammation, spine disease. Sometimes such symptoms can appear due to ions deficiency (especially Magnesium and Calcium).
Sometimes such symptoms can be also caused by gallstones or by zoster. Gallstones should also give abdominal pain after a meal. Zoster should give alveoli on the skin of painful area or redness of the skin.
It is advisable for you to try OTC anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprophen. If no relief, full blood work with ions level, abdominal ultrasound and heart ECG should be performed. If you find this comes from your breast, ultrasound of it should be performed as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.