Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Why am I experiencing electric shock like feeling in left breast area?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hi, im 28, overweight, and i have a feeling of an electric shock going through my left breast area. It lasts 1 second at a time and is fleeting, happening 15 seconds to 30 seconds apart, will go away for an hour then come back
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cardiac,gastric or vascular condition;EKG required Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Well, taking your age into consideration this could a number of things. Although I should state them out for you, I would just like to emphasize on medical protocol stating that all chest pain, numbness, twitching, shock-like sensations, etc; should be investigated at the earliest with the help of an EKG (ECG), to rule out any cardiac causes. I do not wish to alarm you or put you into concern with my above statement, but it is always best to rule out the worst and gradually move down the ladder to more simpler conditions, which can be treated as per the patients comfort and convenience. Please do make a visit to the ER (emergency room) or to your local doctor for an electrocardiogram, and once a cardiac cause is ruled out we can consider other causes like: -Gastric conditions: Like gastritis, hiatus hernia, peptic ulcer disease, etc; which are all more commonly seen in obese individuals -Nerve impingement: Pressure being applied on blood vessels due to the excessive weight causing an impingement and thus the shock like sensation -Cardiovascular conditions: As stated earlier, is the most serious of the lot, and will have to be given top priority although it should be less likely taking your age into consideration I hope you find my response helpful sir, and I also hope you understand the necessity to visit a doctor at the earliest. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor