Why am I experiencing delay in my periods?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Getting Pregnant
Question: hi.... my period is regular (30 day cycle), and we r trying for pregnancy, this month i missed my period about 6 days, today i checked in the morning upt was negative. i m worried, i don't know what to do
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DO BLOOD TEST FOR BETA-hCG & REPEAT AFTER 1 WEEK. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. The first thing, you need to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG to rule out pregnancy. It is more reliable in comparison to Home pregnancy test. On negative test, you should wait another one week before going to next level of investigations and REPEAT the test to rule out late conception. In absence of pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, mental stress, emotional upset irregular diet, over weight, pelvic infection etc can cause late or missed period. In that case, one pelvic ultrasound scan and hormone test will be worthwhile to rule out the underlying cause and confirm the diagnosis. You must consult with your local GYNECOLOGIST after ruling out pregnancy by blood test. You may require progesterone pill (like Norethisterone etc) to induce your period on repeated negative pregnancy test. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your doctor. You should take healthy diet, drink more water, avoid mental stress, control body weight and maintain genital hygiene properly. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW