Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Why am I developing lumps on my head?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions

I am 57 years old, 5 feet tall and 128 pounds. For the most part I have been in excellent health, however, have been experiencing lumps on my head. They swell and are tender to the touch. They go away and and new ones develop. But the most concernig is the lump that is pea sized next to my right eye socket. It does not seem to go away, been about 2 weeks. Any ideas what this could be?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 27 minutes later
Hi Wenlee,

Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms of lumps are suggestive of Recurrent Folliculitis.
These are infection of the glands associated with hair follicles. They come intermittently over hairy skin and usually go with out treatment They can be red and painful to. Some times, a course of antibiotics will be required.

The swelling next to your rt eye socket is again likely related to folliculitis. Other possibilities are sebaceous cyst.

A clinical examination by a doctor can confirm what it is.

Do consult a physician and get your self evaluated.

The most common source of folliculitis is the bacterial which resides in the nostrils. When we handle or nose and then scratch over skin, the bacterial gets transmitted. Hence is advisable to apply antispetic ointment to nostrils to clear the bacterial from there. Also advisable is to keep your nails short.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need an further information.
Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor