Why am I coughing, fainting, vomiting, having diarrhea, headaches and anxiety?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been sick for 4 days, its been intense, fainting, vomitting, diarrhea, headaches,anxiety tachycardia. I woke up today on the 4th day and still have diarrhea. Its watery, mucousy and dark XXXXXXX My lower back is hurting a lot. Now i have developed a cough??? what is going on with me?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for writing in.

Multiple organ symptoms are usually a feature of infection. However in the absence of fever, body aches and weakness which are prodromol symptoms, infection seems less likely.

Your current symptoms could be due to dehydration induced by severe diarrhoea and vomiting which is most probably an exacerbation of IBS. Four days is a quite lengthy duration to cause dehydration, especially if haven't been countering with enough fluids.

Dark XXXXXXX diarrhoea may be due to rapid transit of faeces through large bowel. Usually bile which is secreted in upper intestine is XXXXXXX in colour; but as food passes down it digest and faeces become brown. In IBS transit is rapid which can cause XXXXXXX stool.

Dehydration needs to be corrected at the earliest. Therefore I recommend you to visit a nearby hospital or ER room. Intravenous fluids and intravenous antiemetic therapy is entailed. In the interim keep drinking plenty of fluids with oral rehydrating salts.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
I have been in the ER 3 times in the past 4 days, B/c of my symptons. I haven't puked since the 3rd day. But I have been drinking a lot, able to keep down lots of fluid. The issues is now that I'm still have diarrhea. My head feels weird, I have extreme acid reflux, anxious feeling like I'm going to faint. I've been taking gravol but its making me feel extremely weird. I feel tingling in my arms and tips of fingers now. I feel like I should be getting better not worse.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later

Welcome back.

I understand the difficulty you are facing. The persistent symptoms even after 4 days requires re-evaluation. You may need admission for complete cure. You may also need injectable medications. It's good that you are maintaining hydration.

The symptoms you are suffering shows that your difficulties are increasing. Tingling in fingers is a sign of hypocalcemia . You may need to investigate your blood electrolyte levels. I urge you to visit your physician as soon as possible. You need to get better.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan