Whom to consult for muscle spasms in back, neck and hands?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Posted on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: A few days ago I contacted a doctor concerning someback pain and neck pain as well as some muscle spasms in my backm, neck area, and hands. I am re posting the question and his answer below. He gave me some advice on how to temporarily relieve the symptoms and pain,. But I have carried this pain for a very long time. My shoulder blades get really hard, and it comes and goes, some of the pain rqadiates to the back of my neck alonf with my forehead around the sinus areas. I need to do something about it. My question is what type of doctor should ai go see? start with neurologist? Orthpedic Doctor or Surgeon? Not sure where to begin my treatment. My Genral doctor feels like its not Surgical and he mrentioned a Neurologist. My original Doctor MANY years ago was an Orthopedic surgeon. Please advise.

Original question.-hello My name is XXXXXXX about a month ago. I went to my physician for some severe neck and upper back problems. an MRI determined I had a severe pinched nerve as it was also radiating to my arms and giving my tingling sensations. now I feel its back and I have a sharp pain right on my back to the right of the left shoulder blade. its on the right also but not as sharp. could this be the pinched nerve acting up again? the MRI also determined that my neck had a worn disc. is this all related? the pain also radiates to under my armpits close to the pectoral muscle and my forehead around where you press for sinus pressure. is this all related?

original answer
Brief Answer:
Possibility of cervical radiculopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Cervical spondylosis related radiculopathy can have pain distribution in shoulder region, hand and upto scapular region too. All this symptoms are due to nerve compression secondary to disc disease.
The pain around left scapular region may be present in cardiac illness too but it is associated with palpitations, Chest pain, increasing on exertion and cannot be for very long periods.
Aortic aneurysm presents with severe tearing boring pain around thoracic back region but is very severe and patient lands into emergency situation in few hours. It can only be ruled out by imaging of thoracic region either CT or MRI.
In my view, Your present symptoms are suggestive of radiculopathy due to nerve compression.
You should do neck isometric exercises regularly.
Pain killers like Aceclofenac or etoricoxib with muscle relaxant can be taken.
Pain modulator like pregabalin or amitryptiline or gabapentin can also be tried.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N XXXXXXX
Neurologist
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
In my opinion you have to follow it up with a neurosurgeon as the symptoms you have mentioned fits into the neurosurgical domain. If at all there is a surgical correction required a neurosurgeon will be in a better position to handle it.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar