Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Whom to approach for hernia operations?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I have a hernia which is there in my right groin area. But I am not sure which hernia it is i.e Inguinal or femoral. Also not sure how long it been there. My question is which surgeon operates on these hernia and also I am getting pain in the right thigh ( pinching pain ), mostly when my bowels are not clear. I feel it is some way related to the hernia as I do have a very uncomfortable feeling in my groin area whenever my bowels are not clear.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: general surgeon operates both Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Differentiation between inguinal and femoral hernia can be made by a good clinical examination by a skilled general surgeon. Hence, you need to consult a General surgeon for the same. Hernias can be painful and symptomatic many a times. It is better to get it evaluated at the earliest. I wish you recover quickly. Let me know if you have more queries. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Whom to approach for hernia operations? 2 minutes later
What test can be done to evaluate the same?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: x-ray, ultrasound and CT, if required Detailed Answer: Hello, Usually there is no need for imaging studies for a hernia study. In difficult cases, a plain x-ray of abdomen, and ultrasound abdomen may be done for further evaluation. Only rare cases, need a CT scan. Hence, if your surgeon is confident about the clinical diagnosis, no specific tests would be required. Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Whom to approach for hernia operations? 13 minutes later
The doubt in my mind is if I go for a Hernia Repair and my problems are not due to hernia and relating to vericocele surgery which I had done 10 yrs back, then what to do? Thats why this time I dont want to hurry up before being sure that the problems are due to hernia only
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need confirmation of diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Your symptoms could be due to hernia or due to the varicocoele surgery. It requires careful clinical judgement. I agree with you on this. Yes, please proceed with the surgery only if the benefits outweigh the risks and look at the outcome of the surgery as well. Please consult a qualified, skilled and experienced general surgeon for the same. Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor