Whitish sore patch in the throat. Is this due to smokeless tobacco use?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have this one soar spot in the side of my throat and theres a small white patch on the soar area, just kind of wondering if it could be something serious from smokeless tobacoo use..
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for your query,

1. Your Leukoplakia (white patches on the side of the throat) are most probably related to smokeless tobacco use.
2. Leukoplakia is considered benign but a potential precancerous lesion with a risk of turning cancerous in 5 to 15% persons.
3. Stopping the irritative factor, such as smokeless tobacco in your case, lowers the risk and the soreness. Usually, the Leukoplakia stabilizes or reduces after the original irritation that caused it has been stopped.There are some other causes besides tobacco which can lead to other types of Leukoplakia.
4. There is no substitute for direct examination and biopsy.
5. One option for you is a brush biopsy with Oral CDX.
6. You may share your investigations and progress reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.