White vaginal discharge. Suggest treatment

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Sir,
my wife is suffering from white discharge continuously some time white thick or thin more then 2 years ,if hard work or walking more then 500 mtrs. My wife under treatment with many doctor in delhi,allahabad and srinagar,but not found satisfactory result. we are planning for IVF for second children but report is TB PCR positive in blood test.How many days requried for IVF after cure TB. Please advise me.
Thanking you

XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get Smear analysis/culture of discharge done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

you have not mentioned if the discharge is milky white or water colored; whether her gynecologist had ever asked for analysis and culture of the discharge to determine the culprit organism.

Milky white discharge is usually due to fungal infection, while watery discharge due to protozoal infection.

Consult your gynecologist and discuss my opinion with her/him. If the tests reveal fungi/protozoal infection, appropriate anti-fungal/anti-protozoal course for AN APPROPRIATE DURATION, will stop the discharge. May I mention here that, similar discharge can also occur in TB of uterus.

Further, a positive PCR TB test does not indicate an active tubercular disease. However, if the disease is indeed active and the reproductive system (uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries) is involved too, then, the status of the reproductive organs has to be evaluated (post-TB cure) to determine the extent of damage to interior of the uterus, fallopian tube and ovaries. If these (particularly, the interior of uterus) are normal, you can safely go in for IVF.

Fond Regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T