White sticky liquid comes out from the corner of eyes. What kind of problem is this?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hello sir/ madam
my son has got a problem with his eyes since his birth.
A white sticky liquid comes out from the corner of his left eye..specially if he comes in contact with dust and pollution.
He is of 23 months now.
please guide me what kind of problem is this and what kind of surgery should we opt for.?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Congenital Dacryocystitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history you have provided that your 23 months old son has got watering and sticky fluid from left eye.
This condition is called as Congenital dacryocystitis and it is because of obstruction to the drainage of lacrimal tears produced in the eye.
Congenital obstruction of the lacrimal drainage system is very common and is found in about 90% of new borns but about 90% of them undergo spontaneous resolution by 1 year of age.

Since in your son case it has not undergone spontaneous resolution he requires treatment.

The treatment options depend on the age of presentation.
using antibiotic eye drops with lacrimal sac massaging when diagnosed within 6 months.
Probing when diagnosed within one to one half years.

Since your son is now 23 months old, treatment options for him are
Intubation of lacrimal canaliculi by silicone tube
Dacryocystorhinostomy

Do consult a Ophthalmologist and discuss with him regarding all the options and he will be able to guide you regrading further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 2 days later
respected sir,
can you please suggest where in delhi or kolkata this surgery will be done best and which surgeon should we opt to?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX eye hospital,Shroff eye hospital ,Centre for

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Thank you for the follow up query.

As per the probable diagnosis based on the symptoms your son is most likely having congenital dacryocystitis. First needs to be done is confirmation of diagnosis. This can be done any ophthalmologist near by your residence.

If the diagnosis is confirmed major surgical procedure like Dacryocystorhinostomy which should be the treatment of choice can be done preferably when the child is 4 years or above, hence he has to wait till then.
Till he reaches age of 4 years simple treatment like silicone tube intubation is required which is also a simple procedure and may not require much expertise can be done as a simple outpatient or day care procedure.

Delhi being the capital city of India has got very eye centres. If you want in government sector RP centre All India Institute of Medical Sciences is the best.

In private sector XXXXXXX eye hospital, Shroff eye hospital , Centre for sight are some of the best eye hospitals known for providing world class eye care. You can visit any one of them.

I advice you to consult Ophthalmologist first for confirmation of diagnosis and then you can plan regarding treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you