Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

White sticky liquid comes out from the corner of eyes. What kind of problem is this?

Answered by
Dr. Dadapeer K


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 5709 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hello sir/ madam
my son has got a problem with his eyes since his birth.
A white sticky liquid comes out from the corner of his left eye..specially if he comes in contact with dust and pollution.
He is of 23 months now.
please guide me what kind of problem is this and what kind of surgery should we opt for.?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Congenital Dacryocystitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history you have provided that your 23 months old son has got watering and sticky fluid from left eye.
This condition is called as Congenital dacryocystitis and it is because of obstruction to the drainage of lacrimal tears produced in the eye.
Congenital obstruction of the lacrimal drainage system is very common and is found in about 90% of new borns but about 90% of them undergo spontaneous resolution by 1 year of age.

Since in your son case it has not undergone spontaneous resolution he requires treatment.

The treatment options depend on the age of presentation.
using antibiotic eye drops with lacrimal sac massaging when diagnosed within 6 months.
Probing when diagnosed within one to one half years.

Since your son is now 23 months old, treatment options for him are
Intubation of lacrimal canaliculi by silicone tube

Do consult a Ophthalmologist and discuss with him regarding all the options and he will be able to guide you regrading further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 2 days later
respected sir,
can you please suggest where in delhi or kolkata this surgery will be done best and which surgeon should we opt to?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX eye hospital,Shroff eye hospital ,Centre for

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Thank you for the follow up query.

As per the probable diagnosis based on the symptoms your son is most likely having congenital dacryocystitis. First needs to be done is confirmation of diagnosis. This can be done any ophthalmologist near by your residence.

If the diagnosis is confirmed major surgical procedure like Dacryocystorhinostomy which should be the treatment of choice can be done preferably when the child is 4 years or above, hence he has to wait till then.
Till he reaches age of 4 years simple treatment like silicone tube intubation is required which is also a simple procedure and may not require much expertise can be done as a simple outpatient or day care procedure.

Delhi being the capital city of India has got very eye centres. If you want in government sector RP centre All India Institute of Medical Sciences is the best.

In private sector XXXXXXX eye hospital, Shroff eye hospital , Centre for sight are some of the best eye hospitals known for providing world class eye care. You can visit any one of them.

I advice you to consult Ophthalmologist first for confirmation of diagnosis and then you can plan regarding treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Dacryocystorhinostomy

doctor1 MD

I am a 68 yo female. In the past months my eyes start tearing towards the end of every meal. What could be the cause?

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr., I have moisture in my right eye which results in tears sonetimes and ichiness. Can you please suggest some eye drop and Reason for this. Thanks

doctor1 MD

I have plugged eye oil ducts. Have been on anti biotic for two months, heat compresses 2 x daily and Lotemaz drops for two months no change. Now they want me to go have dusts auctioned as last resort. I am ocncerned .help

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with blocked tear ducts,the only option given to me was an operation where they have to make a hole in the bone on the side of my nose to make new tear ducts is their a less invasive way to unblock my ducts?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor. my son, who is 16, has had a blocked tear duct in 1 eys since he was 2 years old. As I recall, he had a swollen eye lid on that side for a few days, it cleared up, and then the excessive tearing began. It is exacerbated by the wind and cold , but he does tear frequently. I took him to an eye specialist when he was 4 years old and we decided to leave it alone. Now that he is older, it is annoying him, especially when he is playing sports, etc. and we looked into having the surgery to put the stent in the tear duct. We were told that it is not always successful and it would cost about $3-4,ooo. Apparently, it may have to be done a 2nd time, if not successful, but again there are no guarantees. It seems to me from some online research that this type of surgery has a high success rate in children under 2 yrs old, but I cannot seem to get much information for older patients. That is what I am trying to find out now. I am not sure it is worth pursuing the surgery and expense. Can you help me?

doctor1 MD

My name is Raghbir Singh I am 50 years old. I have been to the hospital and they have contruted my diagnosis as tear duck blockage, redness of the eyes dryness in the eyes. Need glasses but can t wear them but sudden appearance of redness comes to eyes and they start watering. I m in desperate need of alternative treatments .

doctor1 MD

Would you recommend tear duct surgery for an intermittant blocked tear duct, 58 year old woman? I can have a good day, then a bad day with draining; mostly a couple of times in a day I have excessive tearing that is relieved for a few hours by just using a warm cloth a few minutes. Been going on for about a year. The other eye has taken it s turn too. But seems to have stopped. Could it be allergies? My opthamologist says surgery, my ENT says no to surgery. Wouldn t a blocked duct tear all the time?