Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

White, pungent discharge, burning when applying soap. Want medication to avoid smell and improve sensation.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions

After my first intercourse my husband complained abt the white discharge coming out. He found the smell to very pungent and it made him feel uncomfortable. Secondly, I myself am finding the amount of discharge to be more than what it used to be anytime earlier. And am feeling the wetness since then. Is there any medication I need to follow to avoid the pungent smell. Secondly, is there any medication which myself and my husband can take any medication to imrpove sensation towards one another.

FYI: The discharge is whitish is colour. However while cleaning my private parts, I was having a burning sensation when applying soap. I don’t have any other itching sensation as such.

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for your query. Following is my comment and advice for your problem:

White discharge is due to various reasons:

1) Pelvic inflammatory disease is a condition of infection / inflammation of genital organs. If you had pungent white discharge on first day of intercourse, it could be a pre-existing chronic pelvic inflammatory disease. This has impact on your genital organs. This is an important gynecological and reproductive condition which affects your future fertility.

2) White discharge is just a symptom. It has an etiology inside the genital organs which needs to be investigated. Don’t concentrate only on getting rid of pungent smell but also to stop the white discharge completely as it’s not healthy for genital organs.

3) Burning sensation you are experiencing at private parts could be fungal infection around the vagina and labial area.

Now please follow the following advice:

- Please visit a gynecologist & get high vaginal swab examination done for culture and sensitivity of the affecting organism and take appropriate antibiotics or antifungal tablets and vaginal pessary to combat the infection. This will treat white discharge as well as pungent smell.

- Please ask for prescription of antifungal ointment prescription from gynecologist to apply for private parts which are burning due to fungal infection.

- Get ultrasound abdomen to rule out any tubo-ovarian mass and status of uterus and ovaries due to your chronic white discharge.

- Please keep your private parts and genital organs cleaned by adequate hygiene.
Wash frequently with soap and water. Wear cleanly washed and completely dried undergarments.

- Get urine culture and sensitivity to rule out urinary tract infection which exists as co-infection.

I am available for any follow up queries you have. If you have no queries please accept my answer.


Dr.Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor