Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

White powder in urine, taking shelcal calcium supplement. Had toe fracture. What medicine can be taken?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My son who is 5 and half years old had a small fracture near the Toes. He is on Shelcal Calcium Supplement. We observed some white powder in his urine and worrying. Is it normal? do we need to stop the medicine?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your son.

It is remotely possible that the white powder that you observed in his urine may be related to the calcium supplementation. The kidneys are a very important part of the body which filters substances such as calcium. It may be that the amount of calcium he was interesting was a bit more than his body needed. In that case the kidney will tend to excrete any excess amounts of calcium.

At this time I would recommend that you discontinue the use of the calcium supplementation and have him drink plenty of fluids over the next couple of days. This will help avoid any complications of high calcium levels in his body. I do not think he is in any immediate danger but I think it would be beneficial as I mentioned to discontinue the supplementation for now and have him at hydrate very well over the next few days.

His body will be able to heal the small fracture without any calcium supplementation. As long as he maintained a very good and well balanced diet his body will heal without any additional need for calcium supplementation.

For now I recommend discontinuing the calcium supplementation. I would observe his urine for the next couple of days to make sure that there are no additional changes in the urine. If there are changes which you would like to discuss I am available to do that with you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor