White patches on baby's cheeks, spreading. Applied Cetaphil. Is it vitamin deficiency?
We are thinking its some vitamin deficiency, daily we are applying Jonson and Jonson baby lotion and also we applied Cetaphil cream on the white patches.
Thanks for your query.
White patches on the face of a child are a very common thing and is called ' Pityriasis Alba".
It is a misconception that it occurs due to calcium deficiency though most of the practitioners prescribe a multivitamin along with the medication.
It can occur at various sites and is more common in children who are prone to repeated cough and cold.
A mild topical steroid cream and tacrolimus cream is usually prescribed. However, these are prescription drugs and can be obtained after you consult a dermatologist.
It takes around 2-3 weeks to subside and is nothing to worry about.
Vitiligo, on the other hand can occur at any site of the body and is porcelain white in colour with no scaling which is a feature of P. XXXXXXX
Cethaphil moisturizing lotion and XXXXXXX lotion are both moisturisers and there is no point applying both at the same time.
Also, please avoid excessive sun exposure to the child as in that case the normal skin turns darker and patches become more prominent.
I hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with the reply.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Know me any white patches on face due to vitamin deficiencies
- Vitamin deficiency red cheeks
- Will vitamin deficiency produce white coloured lips
- Vitamin deficiency white spots on skin in one year old baby
- White patch due to vitamin deficiency
- Vitamin deficiency in children white spots on face
- Grey hair in babys head vitamin deficiency recommendations
- Vitamin deficiency associated with cholecystectomy
- Vitamin deficiencies with trifluoperazine
- Shin splints vitamin deficiency
- How can I treat bald spots and stunted hair growth on my scalp?
- Itchy and bumpy skin rash near groin, taken benadryl, steroid cream and...
- White patches on the penis, no pain, tried clotrimazole and betnovate,...
- Sex with prostitute, oral sex, masturbation, no exchange of body fluids,...
- Two white patches on face, one patch on leg with white hair, wants to...
- Having penile discharge, pelvic pain. Diagnosed with prostatitis. Taken...
- Red rash on cheek, no plaques or dryness, itching. What is this...
- Anal intercourse and sensation of genitals. Can it cause HIV?
- Bumps on groin, chest, back, elbows and buttocks. Scabies, bed bugs or...
- Penoscrotal ulcer which resembles Behcet's syndrome, no mouth sores....