White patches adjacent to the groin area and at junction of knees and pubis. What could be this?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a female, 61 years. Recently,some white patches appeared adjacent to the groin area and at junction of my knees and pubis. There is no redness or pain or irritation. But it looks ugly and my husband finds it revulsing when we are tigether. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query and photograph. You have developed vitiligo. It is an auto immune disorder where the pigment producing cells of skin are destroyed. You need treatment with topical steroids. Your husband need not worry, this disease does not spread with contact. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 48 minutes later
What topical steroid medicine should i apply locally. I will not like to take it orally. Please advise a medicine that is available in the Indian market.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello You can apply Fluticasone ointment 0.05% daily in night. It is easily available in market. Thank you