Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

White nodule sores on back of throat, cannot drink water. Prescribed Acyclovir, Lidocaine. Should I go back to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1774 Questions
I am 48, 5'3'', 116 lbs. in 2009 neurophils show 76 (norm 40-74), lym western blot present-lyme igm negative, CMV Abs (gG/IgM 15.8 (norm 0.0-0.8),EBV Ab VCA, IgG 2611 (norm 0-99 positive >120, RA latetx Turbid 30.6 RPR non-reactive. Oct 2011-Jan 2012 had pleurisy. Since then I have been treated for "chronic bronchitis' 5X. Between 2009 & 2012 I've been treated # of times for ulcers in my throat, negative for strep,dx pharyngitis & fatigue. The past 2 weeks saw my pcp 1x neg for strep, said viral-keep going, 3 days later urgent care dr submitted throat culture/neg-bloodwork neurtrophils 74.1, lymphocytes 16.2, I went to ER friday afternoon prescribed acyclovir 400 mg 5xday,received breathing treatment & rx for albuter 2 inh, 4Xday, compounded gargle lidocaine 60 mL, maalox 60 mL, Benadryl 60 mL every 3 hours. The white nodule sores on the back of my throat prevent me from even drinking water & difficult to gag down jello. Should I go back to ER? I feel very ill. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later

If it is only about pain during swallowing or drinking water you can try to gargle with DISPRIN (dipersible) in the warm water four times a day if not allergic to it. YOu will definitely feel right. You should consume only normal to warm water with hot soups / ginger tea. This will give you better relief. Definitely you would be wasting a trip to ER instead you should consult your regular doctor.

As such your description is not alarming you should frequently have acute episodes of chronic bronchitis for which you require albuterol puffs to dilate the airways and better inflow of airway. You need a consult with Chest physician better than your regular PCP.

Let me know if I missed any thing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor