White itchy spots on penis. How can I treat this?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have got married in May 2013. Me and my wife are enjoying healthy relationships with each other. In august 2013 I had observed some white itchy spots on my penis XXXXXXX below foreskin. I had then took advise from my Chemist friend and he had given a cream called Fourderm. I had applied it and then I got relief in 2 - 3 days. But since then I am getting the same infections every 15 - 20 days. I am quiet worried. How can I treat this?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidiasis of genital region : Proper treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now from description that you have provided, it looks like you are suffering from recurrent Candidal infection of the penile region. Candidiasis is a fungal infection which is quite common in this area. There can be many reasons for such a recurrent infection. One is that it is possible that your partner is also having candidiasis which is causing recurrent infections in you also. The second possibility is the inadequate treatment that you have been taking. The cream that you have been using is totally inappropriate to use in this problem. It just temporarily suppresses the fungal infection which comes up again after sometime. So now I would advise that both your partner and you should take treatment together this time, irrespective of whether your partner has any symptoms or not. You need to apply a topical antifungal cream which contains only clotrimazole to the affected area twice a day. Continue the application for atleast two weeks. Both of you should take an oral antifungal agent along. I prefer to give fluconazole 150 mg along as a single dose only. In addition, stop application of the cream that you were previously using. Do not apply any other creams or oils over the affected area also. In case you have any lesions at present, you can click a close up picture of the skin lesions and send. It will help in confirmation of the diagnosis. You can upload the pictures here on this page. You can also mail then at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I will be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures. Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Many thanks for your mail and prescription. I will take the medicines as prescribed by you. Please, can you suggest the name of cream which contains only clotrimazole, it will be easier for me to purchase. Additionally, please also let me know fluconazole 150 mg is a tablate or syrup? and how to take (twice / thrice a day) it? Can we do intercourse during treatment? Will this be cured permanently? Regards, XXXX Hi Doctor, I am attaching herewith photos as well for your better understanding of the problem. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Candidiasis of genital region Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have seen the attached picture. These are lesions of candidiasis. This is a fungal infection which is very common. It can also be transmitted sexually. So make sure that you treat your partner as well so that you don't keep getting the infection again and again. You can start with the treatment as told earlier but as I told do not stop the treatment before atleast two weeks as stopping the medicine before complete cure will lead to recurrence of the lesions. To avoid recurrence of such infections, keep the genital regions especially the area under the prepuce and the glans clean and dry. You can clean it with warm saline water whenever you feel that the infection is beginning to develop. Hope it helps, Any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 16 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Please, can you suggest the name of cream which contains only clotrimazole, it will be easier for me to purchase. Additionally, please also let me know fluconazole 150 mg is a tablate or syrup? and how to take (twice / thrice a day) it? If evenafter cleaning the area with warm saline water when the infection is begining to develop, the infection still continues then should I undergo the same treatment again and again? Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment of recurrent Candida infection Detailed Answer: Hi, You can use Candid cream over affected area twice a day. Remember not to buy candid b cream, use simple candid cream. Fluconazole 150 mg is a tablet which has to be taken once a week for two weeks by both you and your partner. This means that if you take one tablet today, then take another one next week on Thursday. Same goes for your partner. Cleaning with warm saline water and then drying ensures that we keep the area clean and dry. Any time you develop a recurrence of the infection, you can start using candid cream. Getting the infection once or twice a year is nothing to be worried about. Recurrent such infections are common when someone has fever, or is on antibiotics. But if in your case, even after complete treatment, you continue to develop it again and again, then you can get a blood glucose or sugar analysis done. Diabetes is a common cause for recurrence which we need to rule out, although it is highly unlikely in your case. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul