• question-icon

White dot in amygdala, discomfort. Is there a risk of transmission to children? Any OTC medicine?

Posted on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Infections
Question: i have a white dot in my amygdala, it started yesterday. i dont feel pain but only a discomfort. I wont be able to see my doctor until thursday and i am worried about my 10 month old children at home (is there risk of transmission?) is there any over the counter medicine for amigdalitis? I just took a vaccine for thyphoid fever two days ago, can that be related ??
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I am slightly confused by the nature of your question. In your question you indicated that you have noticed a white spot on your amygdala. The amygdala is an anatomic portion of the brain. I'm not sure how you might notice a white spot on your amygdala without an MRI.

I suspect that you may be referring to your uvula. The uvula is a tiny piece of tissue in the back of the throat. the uvula can sometimes become inflamed. This can sometimes lead to the formation of a white spot. This is usually caused by a virus.

I have a few recommendations for you if you are truly referring to inflammation of your uvula. my first recommendation is that you maintain good fluid hydration for the next several days. It is also very important that you get adequate amounts of sleep. In addition I would recommend that you try taking ibuprofen 200 mg three times per day for the next three or four days. I suspect that within a few days your symptoms will improve. There is no reason to be concerned about the safety of your young child and I do not think your symptoms are related to your recent immunization.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my response if you have no additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist