Which viral or fungal infections can be fatal?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I want to know what virus or fungus could cause death within ten days in an otherwise healthy man of 69. He had a high fever 102, burning pain on bottom of his feet, extreme tiredness. By the time he was in hospital he had fibrosis of his lungs and could barely walk. Had much trouble breathing, low, very low oxygen blood level
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
H1N1, type of influenza virus can cause such rapidly progressive disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In viruses, H1N1 (type of influenza) virus, SARS virus, Cremian Congo virus etc can cause such rapidly progressive disease.
In fungi fulminant aspergillosis, coccoidiodomycosis, blastomycosis etc can also cause similar kind of rapidly growing disease.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.