Owl Image

Which speciality doctor should I see for a colonoscopy?

Owl Image
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Question
I found rectal bright blood on tissue paper when i wiped . Which specialty doctor should i see for a colonoscopy?
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see a gastro specialist for colonoscopy

Detailed Answer:

For a colonoscopy you need to see a gastro specialist, preferably a gastro surgeon.

But before that i would suggest that you see a general surgeon as this could be a simple case of hemorrhoids and that can be checked by a proctoscope itself, thus avoiding a colonoscopy.

And at your age upper colonic pathologies that cause bleeding like cancer are rare.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: Which speciality doctor should I see for a colonoscopy? 12 minutes later
10 years ago i had little blood on tissue when i wiped(bright color) i went and checked it by a doctor who inserted a tube in my anus with a camera and said there is nothing all normal.
I just had bright blood on tissue paper now and 10 days ago only 2 times and very little. I am not sure i should see a doctor or wait for the next few times i go to bathroom and see if there is blood or not.
Please advise because i dont feel like going through seeing a doctor again.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can wait

Detailed Answer:

There are two most common reasons for blood on the tissue - hemorrhoids and fissures.

In hemorrhoids the stool is soft and dedication painless.

In fissure, the stool is hard and defecation is painful. And for this stool softeners like laxatives are helpful.

Both of these can be easily identified by a general surgeon by clinical examination and proctoscopy.

And as your bleeding is only occasional, so you can wait and watch. If it increases then you can see a surgeon.

Dr. Ashish Verma