• question-icon

    Which specialist to consult for dementia?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a female teacher, aged 63, who relocated to SC from Manhatten. Ten years ago, I was tested as part of a Mt Sinai study on early onset dementia. I had some forgetfulness and a little trouble with word retrieval. Their MRI showed mild atrophy in the frontal lobe. Five years later in XXXXXXX I was tested again and diagnosed with anxiety. I have been experiencing more short term memory lapses to the extent that my employer called me to a meeting this week and asked what was wrong and why can't I remember things. I have never had problems getting organized and thinking creatively but now I often feel confused and anxious. Here are my questions:
1). What type a specialist does diagnosing of dementia? How can I find an experienced Doctor with that specialty?
2). Should I have an evaluation done again, now?
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes, should be assessed at this point

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A psychiatrist or neurologist may be the best specialist to see. A psychiatrist may be the better option of the two if possible

The doctor would likely administer a examination called XXXXXXX mental state examination which accesses cognition (ability to think, remember and reason).

In addition, he or she would assess for any other conditions whether psychiatric or physical that may be impacting on mental state.
EG depression can sometimes present as dementia , this is just an example

They would be able to physically examine and may suggest blood tests and imaging.
These would be to look for any changes and any possible reversible causes.Blood tests such as complete blood count, electrolytes, kidney function, liver function, vitamin b12 and folate, hormones may also be suggested.

Imaging would likely be repeated.

I hope this helps ,feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16811 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  MRI

doctor1 MD

hi i cant type but heres the story march 2011 i was having severe headaches i had 2 cat scan and a mri my doctor said i had bad sinuses but they...

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir, I am sending details as given in the MRI BRAIN REPORT taken in August 2003 at sree chithra thirunal medical science and technology,...

doctor1 MD

sir, i m suffering from brain tubercloma from april 2011,i went to cmc vellore in may for mycobacteria culture test i got the report by cmc as...

doctor1 MD

Hi My father is undergoing Dialysis and few weeks backs he was diagonized to have Jaundice. Suddenly he got Seizures as well. MRI Scan shows Late...

doctor1 MD

For past 12+ hours, I’ve had left side pain from left pectoral up through left shoulder and down my left arm to my hand. Sharpest pain is in...

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Michelle Gibson James
  • Q - On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...

  • Q - Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...

  • Q - I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine

  • Q - Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...

  • Q - After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...

  • Q - Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....

  • Q - Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...

  • Q - what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...

  • Q - Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...

  • Q - Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...