Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Which specialist should I contact for wernicke-korsakoff syndrome?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14833 Questions
Do you know where I can find a physician that specializes in addiction medicine? I live in Phillipsburg New Jersey (zip code 0000) and have been sober for about 1-1/2 years.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The condition that you are referring that can affect balance is called wernicke-korsakoff syndrome. It can also be associated with confusion and loss of memory.
It is usually seen in persons who have a history of chronic alcohol use and is due to a lack of the vitamin called thiamine.
Part of treatment entails using thiamine to improve the levels in the body.

In terms of doctors specialising in addiction medicine in phillipsburg, new jersey- there are no addiction specialist in that particular city but in nearby cities such as XXXXXXX One name would be XXXXXXX Wilke.
There are also at least even addiction specialists in Allentown.
There is a web site called u compare healthcare and another called healthgrades that lists the addiction specialists in your area.

It may be best to speak to your GP to find out who he or she prefers

I hope that this is helpful to you, please feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Which specialist should I contact for wernicke-korsakoff syndrome? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I'm happy to know that there are healthcare providers who take into account the havoc that alcohol can have on the human body. I have done my own research from just about everything pertaining to alcohol recovery. My GP is not very helpful and has an attitude of "well, what do you want me to do? You lied about the amount of alcohol you drank & denied that you have an alcohol problem" I must be the first alcoholic that he has encountered to have been in denial about their alcoholism. Even a judgemental attitude of You didn't listen to me, so as far as I'm concerned, you did this to yourself. Thank you for your help and I will research the doctor you suggested in XXXXXXX and also Allentown. I've come too far to let the lack of medical support during recovery discourage me. I have 8 beautiful grandchildren, a blended family of 6 kids, a husband who has not "kicked me to the curb" and my family in AA.
Peace be with you and yours.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
I am sorry that you received treatment like that from any medical professional, we are never to behave like that.

I wish you the very best and hope everything works out for you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor