Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Which specialist should I consult for hunchback?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
Doctor, my son is 10years old he has “Hunchback “(poor neck and upper back posture)
Kindly advise me what to do? And which kind of doctor can solve this problem?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

The cause of abnormal upper back and neck posture at this age in your child can be related to either bones or the structures around the bones which maintain bone alignment (like muscles, ligaments, nerves controlling the muscles of the back). Problem with any of these structures will result in abnormal curvature of the spine. With some of these problems child can correct posture when told to do so where as with others he may not be able to correct the posture with his best effort.

For initial evaluation I would recommend you to consult an orthopedician who can then tell you whether you also need to consult a neurologist. Some X rays and scan may be required. The treatment will depend on the cause found after evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I would be happy to answer.

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor