Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Which specialist should I consult for gall bladder stones?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hi , AS one of my friend has a stone formation in his gall bladder and found by an local physician. Can we know which specialist need to contact in this regard. Is it a Gastroenterologist?? Regards, XXXX
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: general surgeon/surgical gastroenterologist Detailed Answer: Good evening XXXXXXX I am sorry about your friend. He needs to consult a General Surgeon or a Surgical Gastroenterologist for the same. Hope this helps you. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Which specialist should I consult for gall bladder stones? 2 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Can it be cured through medicine or surgery is a must ??. as per scanning report he has 8mm stone Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: medical management can be tried initially Detailed Answer: Hi, The stone is 8mm. It is a small stone. For this, medicine can be tried initially for 6 months. If there is no improvement, then surgery can be opted. Ursodeoxycholic acid (ursodiol) is routinely used for medical management of gall stones.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor