Which part of sexual intercourse cause cystitis in women?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: What part of sexual intercourse is more likely to cause cystitis in women? Is it the penetration of the male sexual organ into the vagina or is the stimulation of the female clitoris?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Penetrative sex act, dry and unhealthy vagina can cause it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not worry.

2 ) It is vaginal penetrative sex act that leads to urinary symptoms. Clitoral stimulation has no role in urinary problem.

3 ) When penetrative sex act takes place and vaginal lubrication us not enough or vaginal walks are not having healthy thickness and protecting environment then friction of the sex act can lead to irritation and eedema ( swelling ) of urine tract. This leads to urinary tract prone for infection, like cystitis or urethritis.

4 ) Taking hygienic care if the private parts and keeping it clean and dry will be of help. Also use of Lactic acid containing vaginal wash daily during bath time is advisable. You may need a prescription for the same.

I hope this answer helps you .
Thanks.

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng