Which painkiller would be safe for headaches due to cervical disc herniation?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello, 42 year old male with acid reflux and a bulging C-7 cervical disc injury. I take Atorvastatin 10mg and Pantoprazole 40mg twice a day. I suffer from headaches occasionally due to the disc problem. I take NSAIDS once every week or two weeks for pain when my neck flares up. My question is: Which painkiller would be safe for me and dosage amount? I usually take Advil 200-400mg. I am contemplating surgery to repair the disc. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can take a combination of paracetamol and tramadol.

Detailed Answer:

I have read the description given by you.

As far as the safety of painkillers - no painkiller would be safe for long-term use. Since you are taking Advil, not very frequently, you can continue with it but it may increase esophageal reflux by causing gastritis.

I recommend to all my patients a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol (as and when required). This medicines acts on a central nervous system and does not cause gastritis. Various brand names are available but you will have to look with a local chemist for the brand name. It may cause some nausea.
Alternatively, you can take Etoricoxib. It causes less gastritis.

Thanx for the question.

Dr. Gopal Goel, Orthopedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana