Which medicine should I take to prepone periods?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had my periods on XXXXXXX 13,2013. I want to prepone my next period by 10days ie it should start on 3rd Feb 2013. Please suggest what should I do to prepone my periods date by 10 days.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Combined Oral contraceptive pill or progesterone pill is the ideal choice to prepone next coming period. However, it should be started from day 1 of the cycle and stopped 7 days before desired date to get highest effectiveness. A withdrawal bleeding similar to period comes out within 7 days. Next period may be earlier or delayed due to hormonal imbalance.

In your case, it is too late to prepone next period by OCP to get highest effectiveness. However, you may give a trial in this scenario like

1) You should take progesterone pill from today with double doses for at least 7 days after consulting with your gynecologist for prescription only medication. After 7 days, you stop taking the pill and wait for withdrawal bleeding similar to period within 7 days or desired date.

2) In addition, certain foodstuff may help to prepone next period naturally. These include carotene-based vegetables like pumpkin, papaya, peaches, carrot along with taking hot milk. Body heat generation by taking high amount of non-veg diet like red meat/ chicken is sometimes helpful.

Hope I have answered your query and it may be helpful for you. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E