Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Which medicine should I take to postpone menstrual cycle?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6011 Questions

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I would like to postpone my menstrual cycle. I normally have a 25 day cycle. However this month I got my menses in 20 days ( 13dec12 - 03Jan13- next expected on 23Jan13). I need to postpone the same to after the 27th. Please advise meds to be taken.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.
You could start taking Progesterone preparation from 20th january onwards till as long as you do not want your periods. For eg, if you continue taking till 27th January, you would bleed only after that.
These are hormonal preparations and are prescription drugs, so you would need to visit your gynaecologist and get yourself examined for the exact dosage and brand and regimen.
On stopping the progesterone tablets, you would get your period within 2 -3 days, and maximum within a week's time.
However, I hope it is an important reason, as it is not advisable to meddle with the natural periods.
That said and done, for an exceptional case and for an occasional month, it would not harm you to take the tablets.
Please consult your gynecologist to rule out contraindications and to prescribe the exact drugs.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later

Thank you very much for the info. Will do the needful as suggested by you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Thanks for the appreciation, XXXXXXX
Please close the thread if your query has been satisfactorily addressed.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Progestagens

doctor1 MD

I am healthy average weight and I am on bio-identical homones and a low dose of thyroid med. befor bed I take prohesterone to sleep. But all thru the night I experience bouts of high body temperature-not flashes, just a slow steady constand heat that causes my entire body to sweat. Do you think the thyroid dose might be to high or can a person have to much progesterone?

doctor1 MD

Hello. My name is Ms. Eleanor. I have a question about certain affects I am having after having taken Cipro, Progesterone and Doxyclone. I took the Cipro for 3 days only because I didn t like the feelings it was giving me, but I continued with the rest of my prescription for 10 days. The thing is I am into day 15 and I am feeling horrible. Tingling in my fingers and toes, headache, nausea, upset stomach, extreme fatigue, anxiety, muscle twitch and now that I went online and read all of the horror stories about Cipro (fluroide toxic), I am scared to Death I am about to be afflicted by a death diagnosis. Please help me.

doctor1 MD

I just received bioidentical hormone cream from a compound pharmacy, per Dr. For minor menopause symptoms. The ingredients are estradiol 2 and progesterone 200. It s a pump bottle and to be applied to inner thigh (2pumps). My question is how safe is this to do?

doctor1 MD

Hi... I had a FET last weds. Had 1wk bloods done yesterday. Estrogen prior to transfer was 1100 ish...Told my estrogen levels have now dropped to 218.... Taking Estrace 2 tabs orally and 3 vaginally, just upped to 5 vaginally. Is a low estrogen level at this stage a bad sign? Progesterone was 153.4 nmol/l yesterday. Taking ednometrim and 2ml progesterone injections Getting plenty of pregnancy symptoms but not trusting as told it could be just the drugs... How soon can I do a home pregnancy test? Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, what is the treatment for polycystic ovarian bilateral.

doctor1 MD

Would like to have solution for PCOD , irregular menses problem

doctor1 MD

Doctor recommended Naturogest 200 after IUI.Is taking the medicine orally okay?