Which medication is best for my sugar level?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: My sugar level is 135 (F) and 200 (PP) after taking 500 mg of Gluconorm SR, one in the morning and one in the night. This is the reading for the past 4 months (before that sugar level was controlled). Now, one doctor recommends Gluconorm G1 in the morning and Gluconorm 500 mg SR in the night. Another doctor recommends Jalra M50/850 mg in the morning and Glycomet 500 mg in the night. Another combination suggested was Glycoment 850 mg both morning and night. Which combination is better for me?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 23 minutes later
Hi there.

If you are a overweight patient then the last combination is better for you i.e. Tab Glycomet 850 mg after breakfast and after dinner. In fact the dose can be made 1000 mg both the times for the best control. You can remain flexible with your diet when you are on this regime.
If you are not overweight at all then the combinations of Glycomet G1 and plain Gluconorm in the evening should work better.
But this combination needs careful following of your diet schedule to avoid hypoglycemia (abnormally low sugar in the blood).
If you are affording then you can also go for Jalra- M option. Jalra (gliptin family) is relatively a new and relatively expensive drug for diabetes in the market and if you are having type 2 diabetes for less than 5 years then there is chance of it working fine for you. No risk of putting on weight and very less chances of hypoglycemia also.
I hope you got your answer. Please get back for any related query.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
My weight is 66 kg and height is 160 cm. I think I am not overweight. Can I go for option 1 then?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 55 minutes later
You can still go for option of using tab Metformin (T glycomet ) 1000 mg both the times a day as it'll give you a lot of flexibility about diet and exercise timings and you are certainly overweight as per Indian criteria (BMI more than 23 kg/m2, Your is 25.2)
Going for option 1 where Glimepiride is added (Gluconorm G1) to your morning dose of metformin will make you put on more weight. Also be careful to understand symptoms of low sugar like feeling very hungry, very tired without known reason, feeling sleepy or confused, sweating body, shaking of the body etc. In that case get back to me and I shall guide you for your oral medications further.

Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 20 hours later
Thanks, Doctor. When I had mentioned option-1, I was meaning option-1 in your answer and not the option-1 in my query. I am clear now and will follow glycomet 850 or 1000 mg both times.

Thanks!

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
You are welcome. wish you all the best.