Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Which medical practitioner can commission a brain scan?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2834 Questions
You recommended a brain scan.
I have recently moved to a new area. I have only been here two weeks. What kind of specialist would you recommend to order the scan?

Thu, 10 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I read your previous question and it does sound like a very large amount of life changes and stress.

There are a couple of ways to precede on this:

If you think the difficultly may be related to stress and anxiety, you can go to a psychologist who may also be able to evaluate your speech patterns if they are also trained to do something called neuropsychiatric testing. This type of testing can assess speed of word recall, etc. Only some psychologists do this type of specific testing so you would have to call and ask. If you call one psychologist in your area and it turns out she/he does not do the testing, they may be able to suggest someone who does. Usually a university hospital will have this type of testing.

If you think the problem came on abruptly, then a neurologist would be the person to see. It may take awhile to get in to see one, so if you notice any further deterioration in your speech or memory, then go to the ER immediately (do not wait) where they can do a CT scan on the spot.

In the meantime, it would be good to establish with an internist or family medicine doctor for your general care, and they too can order the CT or MRI and then refer you if need be. Note that some places staff with physician assistants or nurse practitioners, and I strongly recommend that you see a real physician.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Which medical practitioner can commission a brain scan? 17 hours later
Thank you! xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome and good luck.

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome. I hope you are better soon - you have been through a lot this year. Wishing you the best.

Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor