Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Which lab test helps in detecting steroids in the body? Concerned about the intake of the herbal supplement which contained cortizone

User rating for this question
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
Hi. My husband has been taking a herbal supplement from Mexico, called Reumofan Plus Original. There have been many rumours on the internet that it contains cortisone, so, he asked his health care professional for a blood test that would show if he has cortisone in his system. He was told they really don't do that and that they don't know who does or where to send the blood work for this type of testing. I found that quite vague in this day and age as I'm sure there are ways to find out. What is the most accurate test he could ask for?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

From the medical history you have provided it appears that your husband requires strict lifestyle modification.

There are a number of herbal preparations available for a variety of diseases. But as yet the therapeutic efficacy of such drugs has not been proved by randomized trials. So an allopathic consultant would never comment on this.

You can surely get the medication tested at a forensic or pharmacy lab. As far as the patient is concerned urine analysis will help in establishing the presence of steroids. Even a few labs also test blood as well for these substances.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor