Which is the safest and best surgical procedure for GERD?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am preparing for surgery soon for GERD. I am having a Fundoplication. I do trust my surgeon but I would like your opinion. I have an appointment with him next week to go over everything. I know that the laparoscopic procedure is less invasive. However, would the open be perhaps safer and give the surgeon more visual.? I know there would be more pain and the recovery longer but I want the best chance of it being successful. Which is the safest and the best?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Laparoscopy is usually better option. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. You should not be afraid of laparoscopy. This is a very good method if performed by experienced surgeon and safe as well. Please note that it is even easier to perform this procedure with laparoscopy as there is much more space (abdominal cavity is filled with gas what makes a space for operation) and visibility is also better as a camera magnifies tissues (so such surgery can be done more precise). Nissens fundoplication is not a hard surgery and recovery time is much quicker with laparoscopy. Moreover, if the surgeon will see during the surgery that laparoscopy will be XXXXXXX for you, a conversion to open surgery can be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 hours later
Thank you Dr. Sanko for your feedback. I really value your opinion. It has put my fears to rest. I am certain that my surgeon will you use his expertise in deciding what is best for me. It is always a good thing to get some one else's honest opinion. Have a wonderful day.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Regards.