Which is the best painkiller for toothache?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My niece 4 years old has toothache from a week, she has sever pain due to cavity, consulted a dentist and he has suggested a medicine amoxyline+ibuprofen syrup but there was no relief later after 4 days suggested another medicine phexine kid + meptagesic-p taking continuously but still she has pain and swollen.she is unable sleep properly.
what would be the best suggestion to get relief? shall we get tooth removed that would be good solution? seriously worrying about her...
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tooth needs to be treated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..

It looks like the infection is causing abscess formation and it is the cause of pain amd swelling..

If the medicine is helping then the tooth needs either treatment or removal..

So my suggestion is to once consult a Pediatric dentist or a Pedodontist and get checked.

Initial intervention of tooth following antibiotics can help in relieving faster.

Can you please tell that was there any x ray taken, if yes please upload.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 15 hours later
I have already consulted two dentists and they have suggested above mentioned medicine. But No use.
Today again consulted a dentist he is cleaned the infected area and filled with calcium paste and asked me to continue the same medicine.
He is also told that it may remove itself in a week time. If not then he said he will do root cannel. He said tooth removal is not a good suggestion.
I feel that if it removed then everything will be clear and infection will not happen again and new tooth will come.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Correct line of treatment given.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
The dentist has done correct treatment and it will help in reducing infection and pain..
So you should follow the advise.
Also please tell that has the pain decreased with it or not?
Is the swelling reducing?

Please revert back.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana