question-icon

Which is the best formula for weight gain?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jun 2021
Question: Hii My baby was born on 1 feb 2018. She was born preterm at 35 weeks. Her birth weight was 1.5 kgs. Currently i am feeding her similac neosure along with breast feed. Her weight gain is very slow. At almost 5 months she just weighs 3.2 kg. Please tell me which formula is best for weight gain. I am planning to try nan pro 1. Is it right to shift from a pdf formula to a normal formula.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can give dexolac premium Stage 1

Detailed Answer:
Hi... you can give select premium stage 1 at the proper dilution of one unheaped scoop for every 30 ml of water.
I usually prescribe this for preterm babies and the weight gain is usually satisfactory.
But at the same time you should be happy because if any healthy growing baby irrespective of the birth weight is gaining or doubling the weight by 5 months then it is excellent weight gain.
As such your baby has doubled the birthweight by now and in this way I feel that she is growing in every healthy manner.
Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology