Which blood disorders cause cerebral venous sinus thrombosis?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: What blood disorders that could cause cerebral venous sinus thrombosis?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CVT is clotting disorder caused by disorders of coagulation system.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVT) is condition wherein there is clot formation in venous sinuses (blood channels in brain).
Certain predispose to formation of clots in body including CVT.
These conditions include inflammation, infection, drugs like oral contraceptives etc.
Abnormality of coagulation pathway like deficiency of protein C, protein S, anti-thrombin deficiency, factor V mutation etc.
In case of CVT all the above mentioned disorders should be looked for for appropriate management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T